Friday, December 16, 2016

Orlando, FL 2016 - Day 7

The New York section of Universal Studios
We ran out of money last night, so today we were forced to subsist on what we found on the ground, mainly popcorn, pretzel salt, and gum. That’s not true, but I thought it would be funny to tell our kids that. We started our morning at Islands of Adventure by going to Marvel Super Hero Island and riding Spiderman. The ride is just like the other 3D and 4D rides around the park—incredibly high tech and nausea-inducing. It was fun, but when it was over, only Ali and Ashley felt like riding the Incredible Hulk roller coaster. We sat on a bench and watched  the ride, while I imagined all the ways my girls could die. I was relieved when they walked out alive and I could confirm that neither of them had fallen out of their seat.


I couldn't let the boy know what I was doing
Next, we split up for a few hours. Ali and Ashley wanted to continue on to the Wizarding World, but the Force was pulling Chad, Jackson, and I to see Rogue One. Chad bought our tickets while we walked to Universal’s CityWalk just outside the park. I want to tell you all about the movie but I can’t. Instead, I will tell you that it exceeded every expectation I had, and when the movie was over, the three of us were actually speechless, and all of us were choked up. We walked back to Islands of Adventure talking about the movie and sharing our favorite parts. We ate gyros and chicken at Fire Eater’s Grill while we sat in the sun. 

Outside the Leaky Cauldron
We reconnected with the girls who had been roller coaster hopping for the past couple hours. We rode the Hogwarts Express back to Diagon Alley and then explored more of Universal Studios. We rode rides, watched live shows, and we walked. And walked and walked. Chad logged our mileage, and in six days, we walked 48.66 miles. That’s almost two full marathons. I’m actually looking forward to sitting on a plane for six hours tomorrow.

As nighttime approached, we realized that tonight was our last night in the parks. The girls still had shopping to do and roller coasters to ride, so they took off again. Jackson and Chad and I ate dinner at the Leaky Cauldron and laughed about how wizards can cast any spell they want and even bring the dead back to life, but they can’t fix a leaky cauldron. Well, it was funny at the time.

A common and disgusting sight among strangers
So, we stared at a lot of butts this week. We stood in line for tens of hours next strangers from all over the world, which afforded us the most entertaining people watching we could have ever hoped for. What struck me the most is how unashamedly some people dig in their butt cracks. I mean, like inside their butts. It’s like someone put a million dollars in there and then told them they had six seconds to pull it out or they would die. I’m looking forward to not being around strangers for a while after this trip.

Now we’re all back at the resort; Star Wars is on (as usual) and I’m doing laundry. And just like that, the magic is over. But it was another trip spent creating memories, and I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat. After a nap, of course. And maybe some ibuprofen.

- The Niemeyers

No comments:

Post a Comment