Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore 2009 - Day 2


Okay, so the plan was to do a funny blog. Not a lot of funny things are happening so this is proving to be harder than previously thought. But we ARE having a blast, so we've got that goin' for us.
 
This morning we woke up and had coffee and breakfast with Cheryle and Glenn and then we hit the road after Cheryle packed us a delicious lunch. When we reached the Washington/Idaho border, we got out for awhile to take this picture and play on the side of the freeway. Which is always fun when you have 3 hyper children.
 
Our next stop was the 50,000 Silver Dollar Bar in Haugan, Montana. The kids bought souvenirs in the gift shop and then we drove for 4 hours until we arrived in Dillon, MT. Which is where we are now. After swimming, dinner, and a car wash, we're hanging out in our hotel tonight. The kids are doing homework. How sad is THAT on a Road Trip? We love being adults! We are laughing at our kids while jumping on the bed and playing with their newly-bought toys.
 
 
 
 
The reason it's called
The 50,000 Silver Dollar Bar 
Before we left Spokane Glenn and Cheryle taught us the best game in the world. Yes, even better than Pictionary. It doesn't have a name (as far as we know) so we will name it "The Best Game in the Universe." First of all, you need to know that I l-o-v-e puns. More than the average person probably should. Chad loves to groan and roll his eyes at puns. So we make a perfect team. The game goes like this: The first person picks any random item and inserts it into the following phrase: "A ________ walks into a bar and the bartender says, 'we don't serve _______s here, and the ________ says, '...'" and then the second person inserts a pun that would fit. Simple you say? Not so much.

I jotted down our favorites from our long.... LONG drive today.
  • A cloud walks into a bar and the bartender says, "we don't serve clouds here" and the cloud says, "Are you cirrus?!"
  • A trailer walks into a bar and the bartender says, "we don't serve trailers here" and the trailer says, "But I need a drink, I'm getting hitched tomorrow!"
  • A river walks into a bar and the bartender says, "we don't serve rivers here" and the river says, "come on, I'll drink rapidly."
  • A church walks into a bar and the bartender says, "we don't serve churches here" and the church says, "your prices are too steeple anyway."
  • A canoe walks into a bar and the bartender says, "we don't serve canoes here" and the canoe says, "serve me oar I'm calling the cops."
Now THAT was funny. I'll give you a moment to pick yourself up off the ground.
So that was the excitement of our day. Again, this country is GORGEOUS and we enjoyed every minute of our trip. We made it all the way from Olympia to Butte before we allowed the kids to watch a movie.

We'd like to share with you two things we discovered on today's journey:
  1. People seem to be physically incapable of keeping their foot on the gas and their cell phone to their ear simultaneously. The government should fund a study on this phenomena. Come to think of it, they probably already are.
  2. If Washington, Idaho, and Montana are indicators of what the rest of this country looks like (and I'm guessing they are), I'm pretty sure there is an abundance of trees so go ahead and use some extra paper today. And toss that paper cup in the trash in celebration of "Don't Worry About Deforestation - It's A Big Fat Lie Day" founded by Chad and Rachel Niemeyer on this 28th day of May 2009.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a life lesson we learned from Day 1: When going on a road trip in which I create the playlist - it's a good idea to throw in a couple of Stand-up Comedy CD's to reverse the effects of the music I choose.
Tomorrow we'll be in Jackson with our ginormous family. The song that will kick-off the drive? Jackson by Johnny Cash.

Peace,
The Niemeyers

5 comments:

  1. LOL! That game sounds hilarious. It sounds like one Jess would love to play, Mr. Pun himself! haha

    Happy Road Trippin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you are in a NEW TIME ZONE. What fun!!!
    This trip will be a lifetime of memories.THank you for blogging it so we can all enjoy your time together on the road.
    VERY good answers on your puns, Rach. We love that game having made it up after hearing something about a bear in a bar many years ago. We made it our own road trip game. Air Hugs around. Love you all. MOM C

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE: Glenn told me that we got the idea of the BEST GAME IN THE WORLD from a Comedy Club where friends of ours (all policemen of course) tried to outdo each other in puns as they were chosen from the audience.
    I forgot.....and now that I remember I am laughing all over again. MISS YOU GUYS.
    A rock walks into a Bar, Bartender says WE DON'T SERVE ROCKS HERE....
    ROCK SAYS...."that's ok.. I'm already stoned."
    LOL We are on a roll here....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! I know this trip is already over, but you're crackin' me up! (It's Adrienne.....you know, from the mom's group? Your fellow weeper-to-music, and many movies, and some tv shows...and the occasional commercial.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I guess I posted that last comment under hubby's Google account. But it was really me. I'm not allowed to tell what makes him cry.

    ReplyDelete