Friday, July 2, 2021

Disneyland, 2021- Day 2

Avengers Campus

This morning there was no waking up early to frantically enter the virtual-queue lottery or rushing to the park to get in before it opened. Instead, we woke up when we wanted to and walked across the street when we felt like it. We strolled through Disneyland’s gates at 9:00 and walked to Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe to pick up the breakfast we mobile ordered. Over croissants, fruit, and coffee, we people watched and laughed about how many stroller-pushing parents passed by yelling at their kids, “That's it. I’m done. We’re leaving!” but continued walking in the exact opposite direction of the exit.

So many wishes to steal
Jackson and I hadn’t finished our coffee yet when Ashley and Chad said they wanted to go on Pirates of the Caribbean. So, they ran off to New Orleans Square while we sipped our coffees and talked. It’s a wonderful feeling hanging out with your grown son and having him share his thoughts and his life with you. I was in no hurry to finish my coffee. As soon as Chad and Ashley returned, we went to Snow White’s Grotto by the castle and hung out at the wishing well where Ashley almost fell in because she was trying to steal people’s wishes while Jackson sang the song “I’m Wishing” from the movie. He sounded so much like Snow White that, for a second, I thought the song might be coming out of hidden speakers. Nope. It was just my 21-year-old man-son singing like a tiny little girl.

Oh, these beignets

We spent the next few hours doing the things we love, and when it was lunchtime, we ate at River Belle Terrace. After one final ride on Indiana Jones, we walked back to the hotel for a heat-of-the-day break. Jackson, Ashley, and I napped and Chad went swimming. While he was at the pool, he texted me the following:

“I was all alone in the pool for a while. Then another person came to the gate—another 40- to 50-year-old-man, all alone. We are buddies now. He throws coins to the bottom and I dive. Then we have a contest holding our breath.”

There are no words to describe how relieved I was to find out he was joking.

For the afternoon and evening, we park hopped to California Adventure. Chad and Ashley ate dinner at Lucky Fortune Cookery and then we rode Soarin’ Around the World. Once the ride was over, I was sitting on a bench while everyone else used the restroom. My Ring app notified me that someone was on my front porch, and when I opened the camera, I saw Ali standing on our porch. She and Ezra are keeping an eye on the house while we’re gone. I started chatting with her, and soon Chad, Ashley, and Jackson were gathered around my phone to talk to her. We told her how much we miss having her with us, that we love her so much, and then we said goodnight.

Waiting to ride Soarin'

Ali held Tootsie up to the Ring so we could say hello

Ali showing us how she feels about not being with us

AshleyVision
After riding Monsters Inc. and walking around Hollywood Land for a bit, we saw a small crowd gathering in front of Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: BREAKOUT! so we made our way over. Star Lord and Gamora were performing, and we watched until Star Lord began calling on people in the audience to show off their best dance moves, and then we could not get out of there fast enough. But we stood close enough so we could watch 40-year-old men wearing souvenir Thanos gauntlets and Mickey Mouse ears dance their hearts out for Star Lord with their kids. This is what we love about Disneyland: everyone becomes 10 years old again.

Post-credit shawarma scene

We stopped by Shawarma Palace for a chicken shawarma wrap with garlic spread. In The Avengers, there’s a post-credit scene showing the Avengers sitting in a NYC restaurant called Shawarma Palace eating shawarma after saving the world from an alien invasion. Disney gives a subtle nod to this scene with a Shawarma Palace food cart at the Avengers Campus. We shared a wrap called New York’s Tastiest and then went to Pym Test Kitchen. The story behind this restaurant comes from Ant-Man. Pym Particles are what allow Ant-Man to grow or shrink, and at Pym Test Kitchen, the same particles are used for making the food. So, a “bite size” candy bar called Choco-Smash is actually a huge (and fantastically delicious) dessert that’s busted out of its wrapper and can easily feed 4 or 5 people. Jackson got the “Pym-ini” sandwich served with arugula salad and a ridiculously small fork.

The "bite size" Choco Smash candy bar

Perfect Cars Land
The sun was setting and we still hadn’t ridden Radiator Springs Racers, so we walked to Cars Land. First, we stopped for ice cream at the Cozy Cone Motel and then decided to get in the hour-long line for Radiator Spring Racers because that ride is worth waiting for. Especially at night. Ashley made friends with the couple in line behind us, and we chatted with them about Star Wars because what else can you talk about once you’ve experienced Galaxy’s Edge and Rise of the Resistance?

By the time we got off the ride, California Adventure was closed and we took the long and winding route to the exit. We wanted to dawdle in the quiet, empty park. I walked behind my family and saw Ashley skipping along next to her dad like she did when she was little. I watched Jackson lift his arms high, palms up with his middle and ring fingers bent, and pretend to shoot webs at the tops of palm trees. They didn’t know I saw, but they wouldn’t care anyway because we’re in Disneyland, where it’s not weird if you act like a kid. It’s actually weird if you don’t.

“I'm wishing (I'm wishing)
For the one I love
To find me (To find me)
Today (Today)”

-The Niemeyers 

No comments:

Post a Comment