Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ocean Shores, Washington 2012 - Day 3

Niemeyer?  Party of 28?  Your tables are ready.
When I was little, my Grandma and Grandpa had a massive party at Columbia Hall in Lacey to commemorate their 50th anniversary*.  I was just a kid, but I have the fondest memories of that day:  running around with my cousins, dancing with my uncles, enjoying my large colorful family.  At that age I just saw it as a big bash.  Now that I’m grown and married myself, I’ve come to understand the importance of a long marriage – of pressing through the hard times (and I’m well aware of those) and not giving up.  Spending life with your best friend and your soul mate, and raising kids together.  This weekend was good for Chad and me on so many levels.  But mainly, as products of broken families and divorce, both of us got a glimpse of what our future together can be like.  We are glad to have had the opportunity to be a part of this weekend.  Rick and Geri have been through a lot over the years, but they still laugh together and they still hold hands - they're still in love, and they have earned this celebration. 

*Today is April Fool’s Day and although my Grandpa has been gone for almost 12 years, it’s his and Grandma’s 77th anniversary.  And today she is home - remembering.  Just thought that was worth mentioning. 
  
So anyway, we slept in this morning!  I am convinced that it was the golden retriever curled up at my feet that acted as some sort of security blanket or sleeping aid.  Whatever the reason, we didn’t wake up until 7:30 AM.  Chad took Jessie out for a jog on the beach while I sat in our bed and wrote.  Eventually, we all showered, packed, and got ready to check out.

We had 10:00 reservations for a buffet at Mariah’s, the hotel’s restaurant.  It’s an all-you-can-eat approach to fatness but every overindulgent bite was delicious.  We ate and mingled from table to table and drank vast amounts of coffee.  It was such a mellow and enjoyable breakfast.  Comfortable and relaxed – the best way to be with family.

We were about to ask for our check so we could finish packing and check out of our room, when we found out that Rick and Geri had already paid for all of us. They bought breakfast for 28 people.  Who DOES that??!!  Rick and Geri do that.

After checking out and saying our goodbyes we went back to town for more window shopping and candy buying (why do candy and trips to the beach always go hand in hand?)  The kids were very happy that we let them pick out their favorite treats from Buddy & Howie’s Old Fashioned Sweet Shoppe – a shop we visit every time we go to Ocean Shores. 

The drive home was rainy and we listened to a book on CD.  We arrived in Oly just after 3:30 and none of us were ready to end our getaway, so we went to Barnes and Noble to buy The Hobbit.  Ali and Jackson and Jessie stayed in the car while Chad and Ashley and I shopped.  With books in hand, just as we were approaching the cash registers, Chad got a phone call from  Jackson:  “Hey Dad, Uh, Jessie just threw up in the car." 

And there ended our relaxing escape from reality.  I'm thankful all the dog barf landed on Jessie's doggie bed so we did a quick clean up and drove home. 
Once at home, we realized we wanted to continue our vacation, so we unloaded Jane Honda, I did some quick laundry, we loaded the van again and took off for the Blueberry Farm.  We’re house-sitting while Leah and Kenny are on their road trip.  I am currently in sweats, sitting on a mattress that I’m pretty sure was engineered by NASA, surrounded by acres and acres of blueberry bushes.  My kids are all nestled happily in their jammies (Jackson’s not feeling good though, poor Bubba), Chad has his popsicle and is a satisfied and happy husband, and I’m filled with gratitude for my life and family.

Until next time,

The Niemeyers 

No comments:

Post a Comment