Join our family of fun havers on our travels around the country while we look for adventure, make unforgettable memories, and write about all of it. We're happy you're following along!
Monday, August 8, 2011
Redwoods 2011 - Day 5
There aren't many feelings we enjoy more than the sensation of "coming down" after a great Road Trip high. It's 7:00 PM right now, and we are relaxing in our living room, comfy and happy, but tired from our 7 hour monotonous drive from Medford. You'd think we'd want to go our separate ways after being together constantly for the last 120 hours, yet here we are, doing what we love most - being together.
Today was very unexciting, so I apologize in advance for the shortage of entertaining content. We took our time getting up and out of the hotel this morning since we knew it going to be a long boring drive home. We got breakfast to go, picked up a couple movies for the kids at the Redbox and set out towards home.
What a beautiful day for a drive! It was peaceful and quiet in our van and Chad and I listened to the movie Soul Surfer while the kids watched it in the back seat. I tried to finish this book I've been reading for 2 weeks, and I'm beginning to think it's a magical book that will NEVER end no matter how much I read it. Chad eventually became one with his seat and got into his little groove and just drove... and drove... and drove.
We only stopped at a couple rest areas and once at Subway for sandwiches. We drove straight to Leah and Kenny's to pick up Jessie. Jessie gave us a polite "hello" and then wanted nothing more to do with us until we forced her to get in the van. She made us feel like we were kidnapping her. Sort of how our children make us feel when we pick them up after a night at Leah's house. Apparently, The Gile house is the place to be. WhatEV!
After unloading Jane Honda, I went to the backyard to water our veggies. I was amazed to find that someone had been watering them for us while we were gone! I have no idea who was doing it. I didn't ask anyone to do it for me, because I hate asking people for help - I'd rather let all our veggies die then feel like I'm putting somebody out by asking for help. Isn't that sad? I owe someone a homemade pie and a big giant hug. I am way impressed and full of gratitude right now.
So, boring day. I know. But the most boring day with the 5 of us together, is better than any exciting day spent apart from each other. And today's long, dull 7 hours in the car will be one that we remember for the rest of our lives.
Looking Forward to Our Next Adventure,
The Niemeyers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Boring day? I think not! You are such a great writer and I about died laughing when I read, "Jane Honda"...it took this (fake) blonde a minute. ;)
ReplyDeleteRachel, that staged photo made my morning. Lol. That's quite a group of actors you've got there. :) And I am sad that I wasn't the one who watered your garden, because I would take that pie!
ReplyDelete